Monday, January 18, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Despite a long night of creepy Stanley Tucci-infused dreams, I found The Lovely Bones deeply moving and at the same time emotionally harrowing. I had an intense emotional reaction to Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz's brilliantly human portrayal of how it might feel to lose a child to a brutal murder. I identified with the main character's quest for understanding, closure, and peace. The effects were stunning but not pretentious and the cameo performances were great. As it turns out, Susan Sarandon plays a great crazy, drunkard of a grandma. The movie had all of the technical lovelies of a horror film, but without gore, pop-outs, and blood, so it was unnervingly suspenseful, but not necessarily scary. The movie had heart. I loved it. Go see it.

1 comment:

Lara Neves said...

Hmmm. I liked the book, but there were some things I really hated about it. I will have to remember to see it eventually (like we ever go to the theater!).