Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sweet Sorrow

The last week of my life has been a beautiful myriad of hello's and goodbyes, tears and joys. Two days ago I bid a tearful farewell to my aunt Lara, uncle Joel, and their three little girls, Bria, Chloe, and Sophia. They began their trek to Holton, Michigan just yesterday and I already keenly feel their absence. I feel so blessed to have been a part of their lives since they moved to Cedar City two years ago. When it came to say goodbye, all I could think about was how much I would miss them. I loved going over to their home after work and chatting with Lara, catching up with Joel, and playing those girls who could light me all up inside before I could even get through the door. I will miss the all-important race to the death when I knocked on the door and the squeals of excitement as they hurdled their little bodies into my arms, daring me to catch all three of them at a time.

Now that I've had a few days to be still, my mind keeps coming back to something Lara said the night before they left. Bria was having a really hard time with the move and was devastated to be leaving her cousins, especially Matt and Ashley's bunch. In an attempt to comfort her, Lara reminded Bria that we are cousins, and that's why we won't ever really say goodbye. We'll always be family and no distance could ever change that. She said it for Bria, but it was I who was comforted. I've stopped thinking about how much I will miss them. I've started thinking instead of how wonderful it will be to see them again. I'm so excited for their new adventure. I know it will be wonderful and their sweet family will be blessed for their faith.

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

You blogged!

You made me cry, too.

It's true though. My mom always used to tell us, "Friends come and go, but Family is forever." It was annoying back then, since it was usually in response to having to do a family thing when we really wanted to do something with friends, but I have found it to be one of the truest things in the world.

We will probably not see many of our friends from Cedar City again. But you? We will see plenty of times. Hopefully sooner than later. :)

Love you!

quin browne said...

i didn't realise they'd left town... how sad for everyone... and, yes, you'll always see them, which is a wonderful thing.

queendeni said...

And, you my dear, I count as family!!! Love you too!!