Monday, January 31, 2011

Too Much Sugar! Need More Spice!

I have ALWAYS struggled with sugar consumption. I love sugar in almost every form. Give me candy (sweet or sour), chocolates, cake, brownies, hot fudge sundaes, chocolate ice cream, ice cream in general, pies, pudding, chocolate milk...really anything with chocolate...but more than anything, the coup de grace of my sugaraholic-ness:

I. Love. Cookies.

They are my Kryptonite. I can down a box of Oreos before you even know they're there!
And, on an emotional note:
When I was little cookies were the default dessert. I was a good little veggie-eater for the lone, solitary hope that after bathtime, before bed, Dad would pour each of us a mug of ice cold milk and hand out one and a half (we got the extra half on really nasty veggie nights) hot, homemade, fresh, delectable chocolate chip & roasted pecan cookies. Heaven. My heaven will have cookies.
Once, my friends and I came home from a particularly dramatic school dance in the ninth grade just heartbroken over some stupid boys with a whole night of moping ahead of us. We walked in the door and my dad took one look at us and said, "what'll it be girls?" with a bar towel slung over his shoulder. Cara-playing along, as always-replied, "give me a milk. Make it chocolate. On the rocks." to which I added, "I need some Oreos, Dad. And stat!"

Moral of the story: Cookies and milk make everything better!
Right?
Right?
I wish it were so.

For reasons I will explain shortly, I decided to go on a sugar cleanse for 2 weeks.
No sugar.
No bread.
No caffeine. (I'm weaning.)
And some other stuff that's way easier to eliminate from my diet.

I won't bore you with the details of what I am and am not eating because it's really all about the sugar for me. I don't love french fries and potato chips. I don't eat super processed Mac-n-Cheese. I just love my sugar. But I don't feel well. I weigh more than I ever have before, which is super annoying and depressing since I'm supposedly in the prime of my life or whatever. I also get massively painful migraines which I suspect are mostly hormonal but I can't deny the correlation to sugar. I have also never had a single successful go at dieting or even creating and maintaining healthy eating habits. So I feel super motivated because I desperately want to feel better...and if I follow the plan 85% of the 2 week period (let's be realistic here) Josh promised me a pedicure! Hee hee.
I know that many of my readers (lol I have like 5 readers) have had success with plans like this so if any of you have tips or motivational support or chew toys to stop the cravings, let a rip!
Here goes!!

No comments: