Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Days 1, 2, & 3

Day 1 was rough. I was sorely tempted and caved a little. Not a great start. But the mentality I have chosen is that stumbling a little is not the end of the world. I am not going off sugar for 2 weeks. I'm simply not eating anything that won't make me feel good TODAY! Telling myself that I'm not going to have anything yummy for 2 weeks is just not helpful. It seems daunting and completely un-accomplishable! So I'm taking this one day at a time.

Day 2 went pretty well except that it was a little stressful because I'm not used to taking time to thaw chicken and prepare balanced, sensible meals for myself so I ran around like a crazy person looking for something for lunch before rushing off to work. Naturally I felt flustered and not thrilled with this eating plan, but I didn't get a headache yesterday and Tuesdays are traditionally my big migraine days, so my faith was restored.
I found that when I eat full, balanced meals with healthy carbs and the right amount of protein, I feel full longer and don't crave sugar as much. I am grateful that I am already feeling the positive results of my plan.

Day 3 (today) was very challenging. I was rushed this morning and super irritated when I showed up a half hour early to work because they changed the schedule and didn't tell me. Super. Irritated. Mostly because I was in the midst of a lovely dream in my nice warm bed when I bolted out of bed after missing my alarm.
So I hurried through my Oatmeal with a bit of honey, some pecans, and frozen berries, downed some herbal tea and rushed in just to be there early. As a result, I got hungry earlier and had a later lunch than I should have so the cravings are up! I also think that the lack of (processed) sugar is making me a wee bit cranky. My poor husband!
The website (http://www.womentowomen.com/detoxification/detoxdiet.aspx) recommends plenty of fluids such as 100% juice, water, and tea as well as vitamin C supplements, meditation, and Yoga to help with cravings, so that's the plan for the rest of the evening. And I think I'll clean my house to distract myself from the yummy unopened bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs hiding in my kitchen.
11 days to go! Huzzah!

2 comments:

Ashley Miller said...

In the wise words of Thomas Wayne: "Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to get back up." Good luck!

Lara Neves said...

Go Aly! You are an inspiration! I love your first point about it being for how you feel TODAY. Excellent advice.

It always takes me about 2 weeks to get over the cravings and then I don't even care anymore. right now, I'm trying to do Friday is the only sugar I eat, but it's not working so well...