Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dum dum da-dum. Da dum da-dum...

I know I'm a pretty lame blogger...it takes an average of 2 weeks to get around to posts that really only require a few minutes but yes, I am indeed engaged to Josh Stavros. :)

The Story!!

*important information pertinent to the story*
When I came home from Jackson Hole a little over a year ago, Josh invited me to his apartment for some dinner and a long-awaited Lord of the Rings marathon which proved to be an endearing, geeky bond between us. That being said, we watch a lot of movies together. It's kind of our thing most days.

So I'd been waiting for the proposal for many weeks and was really feeling my natural impatience get the best of me, so when Josh took me out on a planned date on Monday, Dec 7th, I thought for sure this was it! I got all dolled up and was on my very best behavior. I tried not to think about it during dinner and through the movie, but by the time it got late enough to part ways, the painful sinking feeling began to settle in and it was all I could do not to cry.
Wednesday, Dec 9th was a rough day for me. I was tired, achy, and cranky from working the 7am-3pm shift and all I wanted to do was be home and be comfy! Josh wanted to be at his house (which only made me more cranky) but conceded and came over. I demanded Elf and when we went to watch it we discovered, to my deep disappointment, that my roommate had taken her dvd player out of the living room. I was so over that day that I just gave in and went with Josh to his house, where he talked me into watching our favorite show, How I Met Your Mother. At the end of the episode, instead of minimizing, the screen slipped right into the last scene of Garden State, as if it had just recorded over the movie. I was confused, but interested so we just watched. Turns out the end scene of Garden State bears a striking resemblance to the week Josh and I broke up and got back together so I felt very emotional while watching it but I was quickly cheered by a tender clip from Lord of the Rings. Before I knew it we had watched 15 minutes of clips from our favorite romantic movies, interspersed with comments from me like, "I love this movie!" and "I wonder who put this on TV. This is so cool!" On the second-to-last clip I thought, "I love all these movies! It's so awesome that Josh likes love stories...wait. These are all our favorite movies...oh my gosh..." By then the Montage was over and Josh was on his knee. He said "the best way I know to express myself is through movies..." and some other tender words :).

Being engaged has been a whirlwind of highs and lows, but it's really been great. Josh has been an unusual groom-to-be by being very involved in all the planning and we've been blessed with a lot of support.

I feel so grateful for my life right now. I'm getting married! I get to be with Josh forever. It feels surreal and exciting and stressful. Some days it's coming way too fast, but I usually feel like it can't get here fast enough!

3 comments:

Ashley Miller said...

And we are so excited for you! Jake and I loved spending time with you and Josh over Christmas. You guys are the best! Congratulations again.

Lara Neves said...

Of course I had to come over immediately and turn my computer on just to read this after talking to you tonight. :)

So excited for you, as you know. Just saying it again!

Hilary S. said...

Yay! I love you both so much! Can't wait! :D