Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Almost Forgot: I Work With Violent Delinquents

Well, for all my warm fuzzies about my job, I think I had a hard knock coming. I was attacked Wednesday night by one of my girls. I found out today that this wasn't because I had done anything to upset her. Apparently I was an easy target. Yeah. Really trying not to internalize that one!
I'm physically fine. She didn't even get a good swing at me, but it's been a rough couple of days because she has used the incident as an excuse to declare war on Sunrise Staff with a focus on making my particular life a living hell. She's completely defiant and is nearly impossible to hold accountable because she has adopted the attitude that she has nothing to lose. She doesn't believe her family loves her or that she can ever find happiness. She believes that if she fights long enough she'll be left alone to rot and die. Her words. Not mine.
What do you say to someone who embraces those kinds of beliefs? She acts (I don't really buy the act) like she has no conscience, so she really does whatever she wants and, because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, that means she'll do absolutely nothing I ask her, while doing some of what other staff ask, thereby diminishing my authority as a staff and winning every battle we fight...even if I'm not fighting it. It's maddening!! Now I understand how Aragorn felt when the nasty Orcs started lobbing human heads over the walls of Minas Tirith. Psychological warfare sucks.
Fortunately the therapists and residential director will be back from the holiday tomorrow and I'm hoping the crap hits the fan pretty hard. I've decided to go to work tomorrow happy no matter what the little snot lobs at me. My dad used to tell me that my Tutu (Hawaiian grandmother) was known throughout the island for her smile. She even smiled when spanking her kids, like there could be humor and positivity found in everything. I think that's how I'll face work tomorrow.
Update to follow!

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Good luck, Aly! Not fun.

Ashley Miller said...

Good luck today! You'll beat the little heathen yet.