Saturday, April 2, 2011

New Beginnings


So I have some events to catch up on!

In February my Young Women celebrated New Beginnings. It’s a great opportunity to start getting to know the girls who will be coming in over the next year. Our ward is pretty small so we only have one new Beehive coming in but we as a presidency still wanted to make it really special for her and the other girls.

Our super crafty secretary figured out some really cute decorations to have the girls make for the special night. I think the girls enjoyed the creativity and they did a great job! They yummy cupcakes helped a bit, I think! Mine (the chocolate ones) were a hit thanks to Bobbe’s frosting! Someday I’ll learn how to make it myself!

We asked the parents of the new girl and the two who came in this past year to stand and give a little spotlight about their daughters and tell us what they love most about their young women. It was very touching to hear these parents express in husky, emotion-filled tones how much they love their little girls. It reminded me why I love my calling.

I got to be in charge of creating a slideshow set to music of the young women. Each girl was equally represented and they all got a copy. It was fun to hear the giggles and gasps over the silly pictures and listen to them sweetly compliment each other on the pretty, serious ones.

The Presidency

Our YW Pres. Michele Malie (who is also my second cousin’s wife. Small world.) found a program online with music written by Jennie Phillips that focuses on the youth theme for this year, which is We Believe and centers on the 13th Article of Faith. The girls each had at least one speaking part and sang with the group. One of our Beehives even sang a lovely solo. The girls were not thrilled to hear that we not only expected them to show up, but learn and perform their parts as well, but the results were awesome! There was such a beautiful spirit in the room and I think it touched the girls.

It was a really nice night. It made me think of my New Beginnings and how excited I was to FINALLY join Young Women when I turned twelve. It’s a pretty cool organization and I am grateful to be part of it.

No comments: